Thursday, September 3, 2009

Frenzy




fren·zy (frěn'zē)
n. pl. fren·zies

A state of violent mental agitation or wild excitement.
Temporary madness or delirium.
A mania; a craze.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.



"I'm in an absolute frenzy towards doing as many things as I can that I want to do today.
The rest can wait till tomorrow, next week, if I'm around we'll take a look."

(Buck Owens)

*Photo by Annie Leibowitz


Frenzy

I am not lazy.
I am on the amphetamine of the soul.
I am, each day,
typing out the God
my typewriter believes in.
Very quick. Very intense,
like a wolf at a live heart.
Not lazy.
When a lazy man, they say,
looks toward heaven,
the angels close the windows.

Oh angels,
keep the windows open
so that I may reach in
and steal each object,
objects that tell me the sea is not dying,
objects that tell me the dirt has a life-wish,
that the Christ who walked for me,
walked on true ground
and that this frenzy,
like bees stinging the heart all morning,
will keep the angels
with their windows open,
wide as an English bathtub.

Anne Sexton