Friday, September 4, 2009

Futility



Main Entry: fu·til·i·ty
Pronunciation: \fyü-ˈti-lə-tē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural fu·til·i·ties
Date: circa 1623
1 : the quality or state of being futile : uselessness
2 : a useless act or gesture
in Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary




"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right.
As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established."
(George Carlin)







Futility

Dusting my books I spent a busy day:
Not ancient toes, time-hallowed and unread,
but modern volumes, classics in their way,
whose makers now are numbered with the dead;
Men of a generation more than mine,
With whom I tattled, battled and drank wine.

I worshipped them, rejoiced in their success,
Grudging them not the gold that goes with fame.
I thought them near-immortal, I confess,
And naught could dim the glory of each name.
How I perused their pages with delight! . . .
To-day I peer with sadness in my sight.

For, death has pricked each to a flat balloon.
A score of years have gone, they're clean forgot.
Who would have visioned such a dreary doom?
By God! I'd like to burn the blasted lot.
Only, old books are mighty hard to burn:
They char, they flicker and their pages turn.

And as you stand to poke them in the flame,
You see a living line that stabs the heart.
Brave writing that! It seems a cursed shame
That to a bonfire it should play it's part.
Poor book! You're crying, and you're not alone:
Some day someone will surely burn my own.

No, I will dust my books and put them by,
Yet never look into their leaves again;
For scarce a soul remembers them save I,
Re-reading them would only give me pain.
So I will sigh, and say with curling lip:
Futility! Thy name is authorship.

Robert Service